Damaged door arch: Sourcing replacement materials and fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I'm currently in the process of refurbishing my 1928 3 bed semi. Previously, a ghastly UPVC door has been fitted in the arch at the front of my house, giving only around 2' between it, and the original front door and glazing which is set back slightly into the hall. Now, bear with me, due to the angle of the doors, its almost impossible to get any furniture of any decent size into the house, so I'm going to have the front door and surrounding UPVC replaced with a a two door setup.

While I'm at it however, I'd like to replace some of the bastardised stones in the arch in said front door. At some point when the UPVC etc was fitted, someone took an angle grinder to them. I'd like to source replacements, or repair them somehow so when the new front doors are fitted and the replacement supports for the overhanging front roof are fitted, that they can be shaped around these original features.

A picture of this can be seen here Clicky

EDIT: Oooh look, embedded!

View media item 25956
Now I know the stone highlighted at the top is the key stone, but I'm unsure of what to call the two stones either side, and this is making it hard to know what to search for. Can anyone help? Also - can anyone suggest the best way of having these replaced? ....or is there a way to repair them?[/url]

Sponsored Links
The two stones highlighted on your photos are known as "Imposts"
these are the stones that traditionally carry the weight of the arch below the springer.
Yours will be very much as a decorative piece rather than a functional one.
Is it damaged or is it a case of removing the paint?

They're very much damaged - someone took an cutter to them when they fitted the supports for the roof above the bay/door :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back