Arched Doorway Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new door installed and an outside door in the arched doorway was removed. Not sure why people have 2 doors to be honest...

As you can see from the photos the thin decorative bricks have been cut away to make way for the door which has since been removed and I would like to refurbish the arch to it's original state.

Can anyone tell me where I can find those thin 12mm thick bricks / tiles (not sure what they are called) and the best method to install them.

While I'm here... what would be the best product to clean those bricks up with, no that I have removed the plaster?

InkedPXL_20210118_073202819.NIGHT_LI.jpg

Sponsored Links
They are clay roof tiles. Snap or partly cut out with a grinder. About 50mm worth of tile, not all of it.

Cleaning product could be detergent and wire brush

Can anyone tell me where I can find those thin 12mm thick bricks / tiles (not sure what they are called) and the best method to install them.

While I'm here... what would be the best product to clean those bricks up with, no that I have removed the plaster?

To replace those roof tiles, you would need to add in a temporary timber support for the arch, similar to what was used when it was built. Maybe a chance to install some sort of figurine from a reclamation yard.

I think brick acid would clean the bricks up, but see what others suggest - but take suitable precautions!

I have two doors on the side/back of the house - invaluable for helping to retain heat and stop drafts. I have more distance between the doors though, 6 feet, so only one door at a time open in cold weather, so no sudden influx of cold air when ever someone goes in or out. Between inner and outer doors, we have the downstairs toilet and facing it the utility room, both heated though no to the same level as the rest of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back