Damaged DPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

My bathroom floor has had problems with damp and thinking that it was just condensation I pulled the Lino back to reveal pipes in the floor had been leaking.

What is worse is whoever installed these pipes had also cut a hole in the DPC for the waste for the bath and never sealed around the edges meaning this slow leak has been running out the hole in the DPC.

I am getting the pipes diverted and re-made above ground and this will allow the floor to dry but my question is who do I get to fix the current hole in the DPM or is it better just to tank the room?

I am in Northern Ireland and if you know of anyone here who could help or what type of person I am looking to employ e.g. Builder / Engineer / Damp Expert please let me know.

I include pictures.

In the Architects diagram the red area is where the breach is.

Floor is 150 mm Concrete
40mm T&G
1200 Membrane
200 mm Concrete Sub Floor
and whatever left of Hardcore

Wall construction is block masonry.

Attachments

• FLOORPLAN.png
    FLOORPLAN.png
    339.3 KB · Views: 143
  • DPM1.png
    DPM1.png
    811.9 KB · Views: 246
  • DPM2.png
    DPM2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • DPM4.png
    DPM4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20170822_143407.jpg
    IMG_20170822_143407.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
OP,
Whoever did the original job was an amateur.
I dont understand if you are saying that you have rising damp coming up in the "hole"?

If possible, your best bet would be to run your hot and cold supplies and the wastes above the floor surface.
Do the wastes discharge into a soil pipe or a gulley - or do they just disappear, so to speak?

Eliminate the existing pipework as far as possible - ( FWIW: only solvent weld wastes should go below the floor line, and any plastic supplies should be in one long run, no fittings below the FFL.)

What I mean is that there his a hole between the Concrete/Insulation/DPC to the Hardcore meaning that if I just filled this in without patching moisture would wick up through the hole bridge the concrete/insulation then rise up the walls. At least this is how I believe it happens?

I intend to remove brick mortar and put a smaller DPM over the damaged hole as its close to a wall and then patch around and relay the concrete.

Is this what is normally done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back