Damaged floor joists (ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone tell me if this joist needs replacing it is one of a pair of joists doubled up.
Directly above there is the stud wall of the bathroom also the joist is one of three which will support the bath running in parallel.
The damage which was caused by poorly sealed bath over some years only seems to be at the top and bottom although not had a close look as floor still has to come up when new bathroom is fitted.
Previous bathroom fitter fitted a batten or what I'd call a botch!! Managed to take some pics through a gap near the bath waste.

Damage to section wall end.png
Centre section.png
Centre section No2.png
Damage to section furthest to centre of house bottom of joist.png
Damage to section furthest to centre of house top of joist.png

Sorry can't seem to make pictures larger.
Does it need replacing or can it be sistered with a new joist?
Or can a third joist be inserted as close as possible to it to give extra support?
Sorry can't seem to make pictures larger, from what I can see it looks like maybe only 20mm at top and 10mm at bottom is water damaged but that leaves 170mm possibly ok from a 200mm depth. I know the top and bottom areas are the most critical for stress loading. The joist/s don't move under stress only the floor boards move due to the damage. The overall span is approx. 3.5m.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I can't really see what is going on. But if in doubt do it anyway maybe the way to go

I would put a Plastic sheet under the bath running up the walls sealed to the walls.
cross Batton or frame under the bath legs to distribute the weight.

Thanks, the damage is only about 1m in length and only about 20mm deep at the top of the joist and 10mm at the bottom. I was thinking of building a frame for the new bath as you said to distribute the weight move evenly rather than having the weight at the points of the legs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back