Damaged gouged scratched oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! Recently had a beautiful oak floor layed and a new kitchen on top. Finishing touch was a new fridge freezer which delivery men kindly wheeled right across the floor leaving 2 tramlines gouged in the surface.Floor is solid oak with a laquered finish.Any thing i can try to make damage less obvious?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Kill the delivery men and lay their corpses across the scratches!! Had the smae thing at my last house when a repair man pulled out washing machine and gouged the lino. Denied it was him even the missing lump of lino was found on the rear foot of the washing machine.

Seriously though is it possible to mask off,sand and re-varnish to planks involved?

Its an option Im trying to avoid if Im honest. I was wondering if any one had a magic trick of the trade.It had been suggested using a hot iron and a damp tea towel may draw out the gouges and I wondered if anyone had tried this or the technique? :confused: :confused:

I remember as a kid, my dad ironing a wooden table with that method, can't be sure 1oo%, but thought it did help, but never be perfect

What not try to move the damaged parts to somewhere less obvious? see how they come back up. Glued?

Sponsored Links
A possible way would be to remove any varnish or sealant, soak the wood with water. (you may need to form a channel with putty or similar to hold the water in place) There is a good chance that the groves will raise. As the wood is compressed rather than gouged this may work. I,ve not tried this on oak but when I was "cottage bumping" if we missed the nail and planted the hammer into the floor board, we spit on it and the dent was gone in the morning. Good luck. (if you see the delivery crew again accidently score the side of their van)

Thanks for the advice guys. To be fair to the delivery people they have offered to replace the whole floor but we are not going through the nightmare of tearing out half the kitchen again.don't think it will be possible to remove the damaged pieces either...that adhesive we used is not designed to release the wood easy!This is why ive been looking for repair solutions.

Andy

RADICAL - but would do the trick . . .

sand the whole floor down and revarnish it - not a mega job and not too messy either and it would then be perfect!!

We have just had an oak floor installed in our living room (5m x 4m) they built a chipboard base (our whole house is wonky) then laid the floor on top of that plank by plank (all different widths/lengths) sanded it in situ and then sealed it with some fiddes special something or other - it is stunning!!!!

khushy

Run a steam nossle over it and it will lift the wood, the steam will upset the current finish and will need some remedial sanding, and re coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back