Damaged plaster around front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had some damage last winter around our front door due to ice build up, and melt water coming in. I'm in the process of trying to solve the problem which caused the leak (see my question in the Building forum).

As a result we've got some stained and damaged plaster around the top and side of our front door. In some places there's a fairly hollow sound as if the plaster has come away from the wall. The visual damage doesn't really extend beyond about 4-5 inches away from the door frame.

Is the best approach to hack off this damaged plaster back to brickwork and then replaster? This sounds beyond me as a DIY-er - but if there's something simpler then I'd appreciate any thoughts.

We're also planning to get a new front door fitted - would it be realistic to expect some re-plastering around the door anyway after this is done, or are doors usually put in without too much peripheral damage?

Any comments gratefully received.

Keith

Sponsored Links
If the plaster is hollow & crumbling it needs to come off but don’t re-plaster until you’ve fixed the cause of the problem or it will just fail again. Fitting a new door invariably involves damage to the surrounding plaster anyway, depending on how ham fisted the fitters; chances are the plaster will most likely fall off then. I would wait until you get the new door in & then get the plaster re-done but not as part of the new door fit; window fitters are generally useless at plastering/making good, far better to get it done by a proper spread.

Had a look at your porch thread & will also reply to that.

Thanks Richard - sorry for slow reply - been away.

I'll see what happens when the door goes in as you suggest.

Any thoughts on the porch question much appreciated - might post a pic if I can get myself organised.

Ketih

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back