plaster around front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
next week i am having anew upvc front door fitted. the prob being the plaster (artex) needs to be cut back by 40 mm so the door will fit, it is a wood frame house so i will lose the insulation gap around the door. once i trim it back can i just skim over the brick is this ok or do i need to any thing else ?

Sponsored Links
I'm a little lost here ?

When you say knock off the plaster/artex by 40mm, do you mean the external render ?

I dont understand that you need to hack off 40mm internally then once door fitted, bridge the cavity/insulation back to the exposed external bricks ?

maybe its just me ? anyways, usualy if you are using a good UPVc instaler, they should make good any remedial work.

what i mean is the plaster on the inside. lets say the new door is 800 wide. the gap between the brickwork is 810 wide thats ok but the inside plaster to plaster is approx 800. the company installing the door say that the hinges on it wouldclash with the internal plaster (they are hinged on the outside ot the frame. once i have removed the plaster (THATS THE THICKNESS OF 2 X PLASTERBOARD PLUS PLASTER AND THE PARTICLE BOARD BEHIND IT)THAT WILL LEAVE ME WITH HARDLY ANYTHING TO WORK WITH JUST A SKIM COAT OK ?

Tinker,

If that is the case and the installer DOESNT know how to address this problem, then i would tell them not to bother.

In order to do this you simply apply a packer that sits on the frame (hindge side) this gives adequate clearence and at the same time takes up the gap created.

you must have seen people on fleebay advertising second hand doors at lets say 780mm but with a frame packer making a total of 800

this gives you more than plenty of room for the hindges.

Sponsored Links
the problem we talked about it (that the door we wanted would only fit that size because of the leaded glass in it ) knocking the plaster back is not a problem as we are getting rid of the artex finish and replastering any way , just wanted to know the correct way of going about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back