Plastering woodwork and door linings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, had some help from a few of you already and starting to get the knack of plastering (touch wood) but one thing I didn't really think about too much was what to do around woodwork like door frames.

Do you usually leave a gap to prevent cracks around things like door linings?

I have a done a few walls already where I rendered with bonding coat right up flush to the door lining and skimmed up to it almost using the frame as a stop bead.

Noticed a hairline crack around one of the frame coming from the top corner up the wall.

Am I a total nob or is this par for the course?!

Thinking if I should have left a gap I will use a sonic tool to cut a really thin control joint between the frame and the plaster as it goes through like butter or am I worrying about nothing?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
The crack is the reason we have architrave etc.

To avaid , you would butt up a stop bead and work to that.

Sponsored Links
Usually when the joiner fits the frame he packs it out to plumb it up and there is usually a gap all round and the architrave covers it when he puts that on after its been plastered , well that's the way my old partner used to do it...

Well in this case I am the joiner and general bodger.

But it doesn't sound like anyone is about to tell me that I have made some kind of catastrophic error and am a total tit so hopefully that is my question answered... Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back