PLastering on brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating a 1930's house.I'm working on the dining room and kitchen at the moment and have noticed that on the wall with the door frame, there is very little depth in places to allow for plaster board .I've had a couple of quotes and have been advised to increase the depth of the door frame all the way around to allow for plaster board. Originally the old horse hair plaster was very thin in these places taking out the discrepances in the brick work. The wall could be wet plastered like the old one but would it be more likely to crack?or should I go with the advice to alter the door frame?

Sponsored Links
Originally the old horse hair plaster was very thin
how thin? i would float and set rather than board if its to thin you could always add more deph to the door frame and float and set it, door ways have a habit of cracking anyway when people slam doors ect

Sponsored Links
I'd go with float and set too. Far less hassle than messing about with door frames. Just set up dots to make one, maybe two horizontal screeds coming from the doorframe, then working from the screeds, float the wall out to straight and plumb, let it set, then apply 2 coats of finish. I know it's easier said than done, but a competent plasterer would sort that in no time at all.

Thanks,think I might go for float and set.Just one other thing though about said wall- in the past part of it was knocked out by previous owners. We have reinstated the original wall, the new brickwork is tied into the remains of the original wall, will this make any difference at all?

Providing the wall is properly tied in and secure, you shouldn't have any problems when plastering it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back