Damaged/poor thread in a radiator - how to clean up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the rad 18months ago from screwfix and have just got around to fitting it. What I've found is that one of the end caps supplied with the rad won't screw into the rad as the thread in the rad is prr.

So what I need is an appropriate cutting tap/chaser to clean out & re-make the thread .... where can I get such a thing? I've trawelled the internet ... is the standard size for modern radiator fitting 1/2" bsp?

I'm sure your typical plumber has such a thing lying about in the tool kit ...but where can I get access to hire or nuy such a thing?

Steve

Sponsored Links
If it's that bad then sling the rad...the insides will be coroded as well and will do the system no good.

You could get a 1/2 male iron plug from the merchants but the steel is soft so it may not cut through the rust.

IF it will start .Get a rad tail and screw that in. it should clean thread sufficently

Search google for "tap and die" and you will get an address in West Green Road. North London

I think I went there about 20 years ago and it was a 1/4 shop unit with an Indian with a posh accent who I think gave me a cup of tea.

You need 1/2" BSP but have to choose taper, second or plug. You are probably best with second if its just rusty but thats a bit of a personal preference. They are about £8.70 plus all the rest unless you go there. You dont bother to say where you are. There was another good mail order place in Devon.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I've bought single taps before from a toolshop in Newcastle's Grainger Market. Every town should have a proper toolshop.

Was it the tin man or the scarecrow that didn't have a brain :LOL:

Local engineering works and bung the guy a fiver and its done.

thanks for the comments... I tried a rad tail - that did not help. A local engineering outfit would be ideal - except they are thin on the ground around here, tend to not be open when you want i.e. weekends or evenings ...and I have a day job!

Steve

Could try a tool hire shop, or if you have any large mechanical engineering Company's they would probably have one

Most machine shops are all metric these days. I passed one in Cov today! Quite a few left there.

All over 55 and ex car makers doing contract work for car firms. No apprentices being taken on any more though.

Tony

most UK engineering works are going to collapse in the next 5-10 years as almost all the staff are nearing retirement age at the same time

Well I managed to get some time off work around lunch time and found a local engineering shop where a guy in his 50's did the work and charged me a fiver - very helpful they were too.

back to getting it installed now - thanks for the help.

Steve

Thats really nice of him, many would charge £45.

I needed some small panes of glass last week, called two places in London, both £25.

In Midlands called glass place in directory and he said thats only offcuts so £9.

When I went he was very nice and friendly and I tendered a £10 note to which he said, thats allright, just give me £5 !

Nice to meeet people like that. I distributed some of his leaflets in my street.

Tony

thanks for the comments... I tried a rad tail - that did not help. A local engineering outfit would be ideal - except they are thin on the ground around here, tend to not be open when you want i.e. weekends or evenings ...and I have a day job!

Steve

so, you found time off, and found it local, good on you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back