Damaged telephone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been having intermittent connections recently that seems to drop when ever anybody leaves or enters the house. There's a spot under the floorboards near the front door that the phone cable is underneath and ive listened to the interference caused when i stand on that part of the floor through the telephone.

Would this also attribute to the broadband speed slow down? Recently gone from 60-70MB to 40MB to 20MB to 10-20MB. Talktalk customer service has been less than helpful and slow at getting back.

So my question is

Is it worth me changing the cable myself rather than paying the extortionate amount BT will charge?

The outside cable runs inside to this point
http://i.imgur.com/2nzOW0m.jpg
(this used to be the Master Socket I believe but the BT engineer changed it)

to this point:
http://i.imgur.com/ZJPiQWx.jpg

It is between these two points that I wish to replace the cable.
How easy is it to do so? Any special cable to maintain my high-speed internet or can I just pick up any thing?

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers

[/b]

Sponsored Links
Firstly, when you upload images, please resize them down to something sane before posting - or at least link to a smaller version that can be clicked for the full size one.

Technically, BT Openreach are the only ones allowed to touch that wiring. They are responsible right up to the master socket (which is the full sized part of the faceplate). On the other hand, if the cable between that joint box were replaced properly with the right cable (CW1308) then how would they know ;)

It's probably screw terminals on the back of the master socket, could be IDC or screw terminals in the joint box (you'd only know by looking). Don't be tempted to push wires in with a screwdriver - it just damages the terminals. Get a proper tool (the key words are Krone IDC Tool) - there are plastic ones, but they will only do a couple of connections before they're knackered. Obviously you won't be doing this, so you won't need to make a note of which wires connect to where before not doing it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back