Damaged/worn carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a carpet that is coming a bit thread bare. It seems to be just in a high traffic area in my hall. You can just about see through the carpet to the floor boards underneath. Just wondering what other people may do in this instance, as I am unsure on the best course of action to take. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this so it may be a case of just lifting the carpet and sanding and polishing the floor boards, or simply covering with a rug of some sort. What would other peoples preferences be and is there any other solutions thet you could think of?

Sponsored Links
You could always put a wanted ad on freecycle as it's only a hall you may get lucky and get an off cut of carpet or vinyl. Or maybe a bit of cheap laminate or stick with your idea and sand the boards.
And take your boots off before coming in and wearing whatever you do end up with.

if you really are in Blackpool....go to Terrys or Mickeys carpets....they always have loads of remnants cheap.

or buy a runner....sanding and varnishing prob wont be any cheaper than buying a carpet tbh..

You could always put a wanted ad on freecycle as it's only a hall you may get lucky and get an off cut of carpet or vinyl. Or maybe a bit of cheap laminate or stick with your idea and sand the boards.
And take your boots off before coming in and wearing whatever you do end up with.

The problem is it's a large hall and stair case. Getting an of cut to match the rest isn't really a choice as the carpet has been there for a while. Just a shame with the wearing as it was a nice carpet with quite a thick pile. The wife also likes a carpet rather than a cold wooden/laminate floor. I also have a dog which I assume will make a wooden floor similar to an ice rink as she is very boisterous. The more I think about it the more I feel that covering the bald bit with a rug would be more appealing, just until I can find the money for the expensive replacement of the whole carpet.

Sponsored Links
A mate mentioned cutting out the damaged part and sanding and polishing this one bit to make a feature of it. Think he was taking the mick though a I don't see how having a patch of polished wooden floor in the middle of a carpet can look good. Then again fashions do change, but just can't see this one taking off!

Then again people just used to put a square bit of carpet in rooms and stain the floor boards up to it!

People's tastes can be very strange can't they? Each to their own I suppose!

Or just use that thing in your head (that'd be your brain BTW) and think of something yourself instead of asking such stupid questions.

Or maybe you don't have a brain?

Or maybe this thread is just a wind-up?

You tell him Freddie. If he can afford a wife and a dog and a large house - he can afford a bit of flippin' carpet. :rolleyes:

Or just use that thing in your head (that'd be your brain BTW) and think of something yourself instead of asking such stupid questions.

Or maybe you don't have a brain?

Or maybe this thread is just a wind-up?

Can you please tell what part of my post is not classed as general discussion! If I didn't have a brain then how could a type these posts?

You tell him Freddie. If he can afford a wife and a dog and a large house - he can afford a bit of flippin' carpet.

And Joe, I think you'll find that I did not buy my wife. Is this you're preferred method of finding a spouse? Did you mail order a bride, hence you're suggestion that I can afford a wife. Just seems a bit strange to assume someone has bought a wife, but never mind Joe. If it's work for you then great, just don't assume that everyone does this!

On another note Joe, it would not be a little bit of carpet it would be quite a lot!

I didn't say anything about buying a wife. Are you on drugs? :confused:

I didn't say anything about buying a wife. Are you on drugs? :confused:

I think you'll find my good pal that you said that "If he can afford a wife". This leads me to believe that you think that I must have bought a wife! As said, I do not think this is common practice but if you have then fair play. Just don't assume every one does! I happened to woo a girl then I married her. No money exchanged hands for the benefit of this pleasure. It was simply mutual love and respect.

And how dare you insinuate that I am on drugs for simply reading your posts. This is a ridiculous insinuation. Please refrain from trying to ruin my rep by calling me a druggie. This is simply not acceptable! :eek:

Are you on drugs?

Joseph, please stop these unfounded accusations. They are demeaning and hurtful. I did not mean to upset you by outing the way you acquired your other half, but these things happen. It's nothing to be ashamed of. If it was the only way you could find a partner then fair play. It's better than being alone I suppose. Don't be ashamed, I hear more and more people are doing it these days!

:rolleyes: please refer to my previous post.......

(anyone who doesnt know about Terrys or Mickeys......doesnt live in Blackpool :rolleyes: )

Who doesn't know about Mickeys or Terry's carpets? I simply can not afford to buy a carpet that will have to go on the hall then on the stairs to match then on the landing upstairs! It will cost far too much. This does not mean that I do not live in Blackpool just because I can not afford a discount carpet from Mickeys or Terrys does it?

Come on Di, I thought we were friends!

Sponsored Links
Back