Damp above and around Upstairs window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 100yrs + house with a leanto roof. The roof has no soffit, only a fascia board with a gutter connected to it and a great deal of damp is getting in above and around one of the upstairs windows. The gutter appears to be clear and running which flows directly above this window. I thought at first the problem was the gutter overflowing, but now believe it's coming in from the roof. I'm thinking along the lines of installing a felt support tray but have had no experience of these. Do you think this to be the best course of action? If so, should I do it for the full lenth of the guttered eaves or could I get way with installing it just in the local area which is leaking. Based on the assumption that the roof is all the same age I'm thinking the problem maybe for the full length. That said, the roof is getting old and high up so I was trying to minimise the work for now.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
You need to correctly identify the cause before trying solutions.
You may have leaking window frame , roof or a combination .

Hi,
Not at the house at the moment but attached pic does show the roof in side elevation if it helps. The window in question is around the back and the roof felt is very much falling apart. I have considered water coming in around the frame or window but I'm pretty sure now that its the felt that is failing. If that is the case, however, how do you lift the first row of tiles to install the support tray?
thanks.

Attachments

• roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 216
Sponsored Links
If they’re not nailed, they can be pushed up. If they’re nailed, trickier depending on type of tile but doable

I'm presuming the roof is leaking as the felt at the eaves is disintegrating and allowing water to get behind the fascia. FYI, the tiles are the common concrete Marley interlocking type. I'm sure the problem is coming from the roof rather than wall or window.

Plastic felt support tray into gutter required.
Not being funny but water is obviously coming down the main roof in the photo and falling down the wall above the window :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back