10 feet wide fixed roof window - non-conventional drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm investigating the possibility of installing a 10-feet wide fixed (cannot be opened) roof window. Drainage might be a problem and I'm wondering if it would be possible to replace the standard top gutter by e.g. Wakaflex so that the roof above drains *over* the roof window instead of via the sides.

I understand side gutters will still be needed but has anybody here ever seen a roof window without a top gutter? (Or can anybody tell me why this would be a horrendous idea?)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
All conventional rooflights have the rainwater running along the top so that it runs down each side. Rain can't drain over the rooflight because there is kind of a natural gutter that prevents this, thus water is forced down each side. I don't really see the problem tbh.

With a very wide window the amount of water that has to be "diverted" becomes significant as there still is about 12 feet of roof above the window.

I can imagine the (significant!) water flow could easily spill over the side gutters at the top corners.

As this will be a very much non-standard roof light I could replace (fill up) the normal top gutter by a "triangular beam" with flashing tape on top.

And yes, perhaps I'm making this more complex than it is.

Sponsored Links
I see your point, I would be concerned with all the crap off the roof running down the rooflight (though this does vary dependent on the roof covering) and lead would be far superior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back