Roof windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a side extension built and requested the builders to put 2 fixed windows in the roof. I am little concerned that what is being fitted is a standard window and not a proper "roof" window. The top of the window frame sits between the roof joists and the bottom of the window sits on top of the frame. Photos are attached showing current state. If these windows aren't fit for purpose, I'd rather say something now than when they are all fitted and made good. I would appreciate any advice from those with more roofing and window fitting than me.

Sponsored Links
I dont really know where to start with the whole roof. There definitely not roof windows! Well not in this country anyway. The leadworks shabby and the tiling aint great either. Id imagine you ll probably get a 60 second guarantee on that roof after the van disappears . On a dry day! Sorry to be a doom bringer.

Hose pipe and pressure washer on stand by to test but not beofre an honest and firm conversation.

Any suggestions on what they should have fitted?

Sponsored Links
The window is the least of your worries. :cry:

Hosepipe? What the hell for? It needs to come out!

A proper rooflight like this Velux

A085-00029_Loft_conversion_Velux_window_installed_in_the_attic.jpg

Even a cheapo rooflight from Wickes or wherever would be a hundred times better that that abortion.

I hate jumping on bandwagons, but this is one I just had to join: as all the above +1.

I've seen some abortions in my time, but that one is right at the top :eek:

Can I ask if the builders are local or Eastern European and cheap? That sort of work wouldn't surprise me in some countries but I've never seen anything that bad here.

Been in this industry, man and boy for 62 years and that is the worst workmanship we have ever seen.
Not roof windows.
Tiling crap.
Lead work crap
For your sake hope they are not over drawn
Pay them nothing, Give them a playful slap and tell them to p*ss of.
Regards oldun

Was it the same guys who built the extension?

Can you post some pics?

Rogue traders springs to mind.

That is so bad it looks like some absurd joke.

How does it look from the inside? It seems to me as though the left side must be awfully close to the outside wall. How have they dealt with the trimming rafters etc? Baffling...?

Thanks for all the comments and glad I gave some of you something to chuckle at. After a meeting with the builder last night, he has agreed that the windows supplied are not fit for purpose and two Fakro windows have now been ordered with flashing kits. Tiles are coming off and will be re-laid square. The pictures i had posted are not of the finished work and in the builders own words needed to be dressed. Got to give the guy the chance to make it all good but I have a friend who owns his own commercial building and maintenance company who will inspect the work once complete and produce a snagging report.

I found the builder through rated people and he had very good reviews. His attitude is spot on and he wants to address our concerns and "make us happy". This will all cause delays to the work which is an inconvenience but at least I agreed a fixed cost so I won't be hit financially.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back