Damp advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a problem with damp in my newly bought grade 2 listed house. it is only small patches at the moment do i have to have a damp proof membrain in ? i would rather not if possible.
What can I as a compitent DIY er do to rectify the situation.

Sponsored Links
Did you engage a surveyor before buying this house?

If so, what did he/she say about the damp?

Do you any photographs?

Do you have the slighest tiniest miniscule bit of information about the property that might support deductive reasoning rather than pure random guesswork?

Do you have the slighest tiniest miniscule bit of information about the property that might support deductive reasoning rather than pure random guesswork?

vintage Softus.

go easy on the o.p. it is Christmas.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
We are in the process of buying the house. We have had a builder friend look over the house and he has commented that it may need slight attention. The damp is in a couple of area's no where near the swimming pool area/room. One bit we believe is from a leaking gutter another seems to have come from a leaking radiator which has since been removed and another patch has came from a wooden bay window which needs attention. all the patches are about 2ft x 2ft in area. The house has not been lived in for 2years. And although it is going to be an ongoing project as and when money allows The swimming pool needs to be filled in so we can convert it into an annex for my mother and father. And the damp I would like to sort out quickly.
Dbes

shamrock said:
I have a problem with damp in my newly bought grade 2 listed house.
We are in the process of buying the house.
I don't know why you'd describe a house you don't yet own as "newly bought".

We have had a builder friend look over the house and he has commented that it may need slight attention.
Then why not give it some slight attention?

One bit we believe is from a leaking gutter
I recommend that you get the guttering fixed.

another seems to have come from a leaking radiator which has since been removed
I recommend that you fix the leak from the non-existent radiator.

and another patch has came from a wooden bay window which needs attention.
I recommend that you arrange to give the bay window some attention.

And the damp I would like to sort out quickly.
In that case I suggest that you start the remedies as soon as possible. The damp will then go when the weather warms up. You might need to partially replaster internally if the plaster has been affected.

Thanks,
i did wonder if I should totally replaster the rooms or just the area's that have damp in them.
Sorry if i have been politically incorrect about buying rather than owning the grade 2 listed house but I want to have things right in my mind with advice before I tackle the problem.
It sounds as though I have been an irritent to you for that I am sorry. I just wanted to expand my knowledge.
:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back