permeating damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to forum and hope someone can give advice about permeating damp I am experiencing in a newly built conservatory. The damp is coming in two walls - both having a cavity. The builder is coming out to try to rectify - can anyone advise me about what could be done to rectify - what do I need to be aware of - I'm worried!!

Sponsored Links
The damp invariably comes up or across.
So check that the DPC is intact and if not it might be fair to assume that debris has breached the cavity.
Pictures always help though as the location and patterning of the damp areas sometimes tell the tale.

I am new to forum and hope someone can give advice about permeating damp I am experiencing in a newly built conservatory. The damp is coming in two walls - both having a cavity. The builder is coming out to try to rectify - can anyone advise me about what could be done to rectify - what do I need to be aware of - I'm worried!!

What makes you think you have penetrating damp?

What are the symptoms?

I think its penetrating as a result of rain I get damp patches on the bottom of the wall on the plaster board. They are u shaped and the water then comes through the bottom of the skirting.

after drying out and with no rain fall I have no problems.

Sponsored Links
Some connie builders do not build as they should, due to limited funds (limited because the upvc companies allow a tiny budget for the base) and because they are building control exempt.

From what i have seen, they dig a footing for the outer course, build up to dpc then concrete. They then build the inner leaf off the concrete.

This is wrong because it forms a solid bridge at damp level and does not have the 'trough' between inner and outer leaves of masonry.

This alone should not be a problem, it would need to be coupled with porous bricks, poor mortar and bad pointing.

Some connie builders do not build as they should, due to limited funds (limited because the upvc companies allow a tiny budget for the base) and because they are building control exempt.

From what i have seen, they dig a footing for the outer course, build up to dpc then concrete. They then build the inner leaf off the concrete.

This is wrong because it forms a solid bridge at damp level and does not have the 'trough' between inner and outer leaves of masonry.

This alone should not be a problem, it would need to be coupled with porous bricks, poor mortar and bad pointing.
Have seen that method used a few times and it has caused a few problems if the walls are in an exposed position near the seafront.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back