Damp and flooring at lower ground floor level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this isn't quite the right place for this...

I recently bought my first house, a Victorian end terrace with solid stone walls and arranged over three floors. The house is at the bottom of a hill so what is the ground floor (where the kitchen and living room are) is in the middle, bedrooms upstairs and then three rooms downstairs including the main bathroom.

That's very nice, I hear you say, but why are you telling us?

Well, the floor down there is concrete and one room in particular has some pretty strong damp problems. My guess is concrete was poured on top of the foundations at some point but without a DPM or DPC being installed.

Unfortunately I can't afford to dig it out and do it properly, but is there anything I can do to reduce the damp and maybe put down a nicer floor? I was thinking maybe a layer of bituminous paint might do it - but does that just mean I'd be pushing the problem further up or risking damage to the foundations? It's not a basement exactly, but it's a bit basement-y because of the street level being a foot or so above floor level.

Any advice would be very, very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thank you.

The side room has nothing covering the concrete at the moment, and there are some clear damp patches in the far corners of the external wall. The main room currently has a vinyl covering but I'd like to replace that as I'm not keen on it. I've got a dehumidifier running down there at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back