Damp and mould in outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We moved into a house about 3 months ago and have a problem in an outbuilding. We have started to get damp and mould on one of the walls. This outbuiding is used to teach music and so gets used most days for around 4 hours and we have electric heater in there.

There are some pictures below to help describe it.

I am pretty sure the buiding is solid stone and has a concrete floor.

Two of the walls have been left as exposed stone and one of these gets very damp. Also one of the remaining walls which is plastered (very badly) has started to get mould growing on it at the bottom.

I presume this is rising damp due to the solid walls. Would you agree?

If so then can I stop it or do I live with it? If so then can I stop the mould from coming back? Special plaster or someting.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Whats on the outside of the walls and what height is the ground level in comparison to the finished floor level inside?

The ground level is about half a meter above the floor level on the outside of that wall.

It was covered in leaves which I have now cleared up. Now there is gravel up to the stone wall.

The roof was covered in foliage which I have now removed but I don't think this was causing the issue because the damp is at floor level not high up.

If the floor level outside is higher then that is why you have damp at the foot of your walls.

Sponsored Links
You could dig around the wall outside to make the ground level lower, ideally by at least 6"

Why dont you have a word with your neighbours and ask them if you can do a bit of treatment on the wall and you will put it back as it was.If you can get their permission then you can dig all the earth away from the wall repoint the stone work and get a plasterer to put a few coats of mortar on and any part of the wall that is above ground level can be repointed or rendered.You can then put the soil or earth back as it was..I think you should have "ladder rites" to address any problems on your wall on your neighbours side, Have a look in your deeds... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back