Damp and Mould, Internal ceiling extractor fan into loft, safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
New to this forum, just wanted to ask some advice on a ceiling extractor fan into the loft at the top of the stairs.
Private rented property. This was installed some time ago, maybe a year, or just over. Long story short, the house is a s^*! hole and the estate are a nightmare to deal with.
The question I have though is as follows: Are these loft extractor fans safe to use if the loft insulation is exposed and not boarded properly? I only ask, as I'm a welder and have no knowledge on this stuff, but surely if it's circulating the naff, damp rancid air up in the loft - which also has a rubbish leaking roof - would it not be bad bringing that into the house? There is always a cold draft coming from there as it's constantly running, I can't see how it would stop micro particles of insulation and damp getting through, unless it had a decent filter in it, which I'd assume if it did would need replacing regularly?
Any, not my forte, so any help or advice greatly appreciated. Long history with the landlords, I am still fighting them to sort out some black mould in my bedroom, which has been going on for 3 years no. Two asthmatic individuals in the house, everyone coughs and splutters, history of mould and damp, none of which is helping any of us. Hence why I ask if it's safe.
Thanks all
James

Sponsored Links
Any extractor fan should be ducted to the outside or it’s pointless . Mold is a result of poor or no ventilation.Unless you dry clothes indoors in which case it would be your fault.

So this is a fan pumping air FROM the loft TO the hallway, right?

This is quite a popular way to avoid condensation / mould in rented properties when the landlord suspects that the tenant does not use bathroom and kitchen extractors, dries clothes over radiators, etc. The condensation happens when moist warm air (e.g. from a shower, or from drying clothes) reaches a cold surface (e.g. an uninsulated external wall, or a single-glazed window - often in a different room from the source); black mould follows. The solution is to remove the source of moisture (bathroom extractors, trickle vents, etc.) and to insulate the cold surfaces. The unit you have, instead of sucking the damp air out, tries to push dry air in; the end result is the same.

The fans do normally have some sort of filter over the intakes. I would not worry particularly about insulation fibres - it’s not as if it’s asbestos or anything dangerous. The air in the loft should not be damp - just cold, but we are not good at telling the difference between cold air and damp air. As for “rancid” - .... ?

If you search this forum for “positive input ventilation” (PIV) you should find other threads about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back