Damp...any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently (around 1 month ago) noticed a series of damp patches on the wall in the kitchen at around 1 metre or so above ground level. When investigating I noticed a major leak in the washing machine plumbing which I fixed around 3 weeks ago (now totally dry and no leaks). I marked the edges of the damp patches with a pen to determine whether they were still growing. 2-3 weeks on I notice that some have increased but others have remained the same. Having had no damp in the house previously (even fter all the rain we have been having this summer!) I am minded that it is the washing machine leak that caused it but I still have an element of doubt due to some of the patches still growing (albeit not greatly). Additionally I have a rendered outside wall which was not pointed off at the top and had a small gap between the render and the wall which I pointed and smoothed off a few weeks prior to the damp patches being seen (not sure whether this is related but you never know!) My question is really to ask whether these patches would increase due to residual moisture still left in the wall after the leak had been fixed (it was a pretty bad one!) or whether my pointing of the top of the external render could have done something?.

Any ideas/opinions gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
without a source of water, you would expect the masonry to dry out, or at least show significant signs of drying out within 2-3 days.

are the signs you mention efflorescent salt blooms, or do they appear as darker damp patches?

Sponsored Links
Funny you should say that.. ;)

Around 3 feet to the left of the patch is the washing machine which is positioned next to the water main input. It was the connection from the washing machine to the mains which was leaking and may well have been for several weeks. The leak was so bad there was at least 2 inches of water in a gulley (1 inch wide) against the wall. Once I had fixed the leak (bad washing machine pipe connection) the water has now gone and the gulley is now bone dry. Perhaps it will take a lot longer to clear? We have had no damp whatsoever previous to this and it just seems so coincidental.

Some time ago,a friend of mine had a similar damp patch problem.He did the same as you,he pulled everything out, checked his pipework to confirm it wasn't his main pipe leaking,and then discovered he'd only spilt a glass of wine on his lap. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back