Damp around double glazed door - advice wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This new double-glazed front door was installed about 3 years ago. About 6 months ago I noticed these damp patches around each of the bottom corners.
At the time the guttering above was blocked and water was splashing down. I assumed this was the problem so I fixed the gutters.
It's been several dry months since I fixed the gutters and the damp patches haven't gone away, if anything they've gotten a little bit worse.
Do you think there could be some other underlying problem?
Could it be a problem with the door that has only just surfaced?
Does it look like rising or penetrating damp?
I can't think of what else I can do to diagnose or solve the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

IMG-0245.jpgIMG-0246.jpgIMG-0250.jpg IMG-0251.jpg IMG-0249.jpg IMG-0248.jpg IMG-0247.jpg

Sponsored Links
Peter75638, good evening.

In your third image, the one with the closed door, image taken externally??

On the left hand side there appears to be a gap in the render on the ingoe? could be that rain is getting in that way on that side??

Also a "Similar" possible problem on the right hand side, but it is difficult to see property.

Does your door sill have weep or external drain holes ? what is the state of the mastic below the sill?

OK your images are really good, any chance of images of each side at sill level especially the render in those areas?

Ken.

Hi Ken!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I've attached some more pics as requested.
There is some historical damage to the render by the looks of things, but it's not moved since it was painted 3 years ago and it's well sealed over with paint.
There are drainage holes in the outside of the sill - not really sure how to check if these are doing their job properly?
After looking at these closeup pics I'm ashamed of how dirty my doorstep is and it clearly needs a new coat of paint! But I'm not sure any of the damage is severe enough to allow water in?
Is the next step to have somebody take the door out and investigate? Or should I wait a bit longer to see if it dries up?

Cheers

Pete

IMG-0252.jpg IMG-0253.jpg IMG-0254.jpg IMG-0255.jpg IMG-0256.jpg

There are drainage holes in the outside of the sill - not really sure how to check if these are doing their job properly

What to do with this is to get a small easily pourable jug, and using water, very slowly run some water into the lower sill, the sill [should] have a roughly "U" shape that holds the water,

Both drain holes should allow the water to run out, if not then the drain is blocked and needs clearing.

As for the external cracking? problem here is that even the smallest hole [OK covered in paint] will allow water to get in, suggest you consider using say a clear mastic and run a very, very thin bead of mastic into the cracks, poke the nozzle as far into the crack as possible, suggest you do not smear the mastic liberally, because it will be very, very visible?

If the dampness internally dries up suggest you consider replacing the render?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
A leak from the gutter soaking wall will take around 6 months to dry completely, mine did .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back