Rising or penetrating damp? Help! Wet even though no rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We noticed a patch of damp last year and didn’t get round to doing anything. Eventually got someone to clean roof gutters. We thought would have solved issue but yesterday the vertical patch looked darker and felt wet despite having no rain for a week or 2 now (unless I’ve only just properly noticed it).

we can’t ignore this anymore and needed some thoughts. Heard you can wrongly get diagnosed with rising damp and from the outside with the mould looks like it’s just the living room and not a bedroom issue.

Thoughts/advice welcome.

Thanks!

72608555-60E7-4584-ACC0-F3B777087E2E.jpeg

Attachments

• E4FA8AA5-23D2-44B9-9B15-85AF2B722718.jpeg
    E4FA8AA5-23D2-44B9-9B15-85AF2B722718.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 57
  • E666C1A0-750B-4C0D-A42A-A71FE7CE6903.jpeg
    E666C1A0-750B-4C0D-A42A-A71FE7CE6903.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 52
  • E122508A-84F4-4A2B-A438-94B29F1755B8.jpeg
    E122508A-84F4-4A2B-A438-94B29F1755B8.jpeg
    585.7 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Impressive rising damp going all the way to the roof.

Get out there in rain and see why water coming down wall. If water is not from the outside, then maybe there's a leaking pipe inside the wall.

Just to check, does the wet patch inside correspond to the position of that pipe?

Is it gutter downpipe or soilpipe?

How old?

Is there a bathroom above?

Stand back and take some wider pics that include the roof.

P.S.
I think I can see an overflow pipe beside the hopper. Does it drip during the night or early hours of the morning?

Get into the loft and look at the pipes and tanks.

Last edited:
Also photograph the bottom of that pipe, and look for any leaking joints. It might be blocked.

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks for replying.

It’s a gutter down pipe with no bathroom above.

I’m unsure how old as not changed since brought property 10 years ago.

I’ll send a wider pic.

Nice to see one of the hoppers has a tree growing out of it.

Try to put hoses in the top and see which are blocked or leaking.

@JohnD thanks a lot. Will get onto that soon. What do u think of the suggestion that it’s rising damp?

@JohnD the hopper with the tree is not great but that’s not affecting the damp wall. That’s the pipe connected to the kitchen, not the wall with the interior.

The pipe is corresponding to the interior wall by the way, in response to your earlier question.

BTW, if you google "rising damp does not exist" you will find a vast number of adverts by people selling chemical injections and magic beans, and a few by people with no axe to grind.

For example

If you are ever tempted to let a salesman into your house, repeat

"Chemical injections do not cure leaking roofs"
"Chemical injections do not unblock drains"
"Chemical injections do not repair plumbing"

Until the temptation goes away.

Last edited:
Is the rendered wall on the right yours or the neighbour's? It's not impossible water could be coming from that side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back