Damp basement conversion advice: stud membrane required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Victorian brick basement is slightly damp, but no signs of liquid water.

1. Should I use a stud membrane like Oldroyd Cavity Drainage Membranes

2. Or could I just use, for example, 5mm WBP plywood with a large air-gap, and assume that the extra warmth will not cause condensation? Is it resistant against rot?

Regards,
Ian Tresman

Sponsored Links
If you intend to use it as habitable it will need to be watertight, thus tanked. Which will be expensive :)

I have used Oldroyd membranes for this application before and have to say they are very effective - in fact these types of membranes are used by most professional basement conversion companies.

Strictly speaking, you should have a sump and pump as part of the system as the relevant British Standard (BS8102) says that you have to assume that water will come to bear against the basement - even if it appears to be dry. However, as you are doing the job for yourself you are in a position to judge the risk for yourself. A decent sump and pump with alarm is likely to set you back well over £1000, so if you really think the basement is 'just damp' you could save a lot of money by not including one. On the other hand I have seen many 'just damp' basements become 'very wet' after periods of intense rainfall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back