Damp behind front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what might be causing this damp and what could be done to stop it!!

The house is a 1930's semi with an un-filled cavity. The wall is directly behind the UPVC front door on an outside wall at the bottom of the stairs. This is a very small area meaning no room for a radiator.

Obviously having the cavity being filled would help, which i'm looking to get done early next year.

But don't know if there's anything i could do in the meantime to help prevent it or slow it????

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8853.jpg
    IMG_8853.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_8852.jpg
    IMG_8852.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 242
Sponsored Links
Bathfan, good evening.

What state is the mastic seal between frame and external wall?

Any missing mastic, or torn / split mastic?

Ken

Let’s see the outside ground level too.....can I suggest you postpone the cavity insulation until this issue is completely sorted - maybe for ever?
John :)

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what might be causing this damp and what could be done to stop it!!

The house is a 1930's semi with an un-filled cavity. The wall is directly behind the UPVC front door on an outside wall at the bottom of the stairs. This is a very small area meaning no room for a radiator.

Obviously having the cavity being filled would help, which i'm looking to get done early next year.

But don't know if there's anything i could do in the meantime to help prevent it or slow it????

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Exterior pics would be helpful, we know what damp looks like .

Bathfan, good evening.

What state is the mastic seal between frame and external wall?

Any missing mastic, or torn / split mastic?

Ken

Mastic seal seems to be fine, I think the door is quite new so it all seems to ok still.

Exterior pics would be helpful, we know what damp looks like .

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

Couple of pictures of external wall.

I have waterproofed the bottom 4 rows of bricks in the past and made sure that the air brick is as clear as i can make it.

Is it possible that it is just a really cold wall? It is always freezing just inside the front door.

Thank you for all your help!!

This is my first home and the surveyor was trying to warn me off buying an older house!! They have sooo much character, but definitely more up keep!

Attachments

• IMG_8860.jpg
    IMG_8860.jpg
    726.4 KB · Views: 172
Pics of house frontage and rear would help as well as the flank, waterproofing the bottom four bricks would trap any moisture only allowing it to escape into the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back