damp by patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

last year we had some serious damp issues around the doors in our extension, after much head scratching, it was because of 2 reasons,

1) poorly designed parapet wall

2) water was finding its way, through the parapet wall and behind and underneath the felt flat roof

so the beginning of spring we had the roof replaced with a fibreglass roof that goes over the top of the parapet and acts as coping.

i let the walls dry out over the summer, and last week i repaired and re decorated the blown plaster and removed the mould.

Now after it has been raining quite a lot since i redecorated, and most of the damp has been eradicated, but i still have damp at the bottom of the patio doors, see pictures below

that is the only place any damp is, it is not on any other walls, it is just isolated there.

the extension was originally done in 1995 (before we moved in) for disabled access, and the patio door was put in 2 years ago, again before we moved in.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ah,

will have to get them tonight when i get home.

the outside has a ramp going up to the bottom of the door, with a 2" gap between the building and the ramp.

the damp course is 2 rows of bricks higher than this, and also 2 rows of bricks higher than the door.

there is air bricks located on the 2nd row up of the bricks.

will get pics tonight.

Dpc would normally be two bricks below door so in your case it would be breached by everything sitting above it and you also seem to have redundant cable entry/drilled plugged holes which would also allow in moisture.
Is that a coir mat?, it will be sodden and keep the wall nice and damp.
You should not have any vegetation growing against the house, needs killing off.

The coir matting is not against the wall, there is an 2 inch gap between the coir matting and the wall,

The weeds grow in this gap,

As the extension was designed for wheel chair access hence the the ramp and door being below the dpc, would this not have been all designed into the construction?

I shall remove the silicon in the old cable entry a refill it, but again this is done below where the dpc should be, and there is an air brick a little further up, ( not show in pics)

The wiwrd thing is, its only damp in those 2 places

No external door would be designed to breach the dpc, likely with such sloppy work that the dpc is also missing from the doorway so would explain the damp just getting to the corners as the entire access is probably damp under it internally, but hidden by the flooring.

i'll have to find exactly where the dpc is,

if it is how i believe it is as i have said above,

any suggestions what i can do, without replacing the patio doorsand adding 2 rows of bricks?

Rubble in the bottom of the cavity might be contributing to this, I'd be inclined to remove a brick and see what's going on.

i think the bottom edge of the door needs sealing to the floor, water will backtrack underneath and because the inside edge is sealed it will go to the sides and the plaster will soak it up. thats my opinion, take a pic with the doors open :eek:

i think the bottom edge of the door needs sealing to the floor, water will backtrack underneath and because the inside edge is sealed it will go to the sides and the plaster will soak it up. thats my opinion, take a pic with the doors open :eek:

will take some more pics when i get home,

you may be right, will get some weatherproof silicone on way home

My first steps would be:
Silicone bottom of frame
Blackjack/bitumen the bricks along the bottom of the door.
Use a water sealer on the bricks from the bottom of the wall to at least a ft up to protect from splash.

Thanks,

Didn't get a chance to take more pics tonight as was raining and dark when I got home.

The bottom of the frame though is not siliconed on the outside, and now thinking about it, we had an ant infestation earlier in the year, and they were coming in through the mortar in the bricks under the damp coarse and then the bottom corner of the door till I siliconed it, then they started coming up from the laminate floor where the radiator pipes are.

So I was gonna clear out that channel between the ramp and door, then silicone the bottom of the door.

Then I'll waterproof the bricks, I done the top half last year when the parapet was leaking.

Also upon further I spection at the weekend, my earlier post is incorrect in regards to where the damp coarse is, I said it was 2 bricks from the top of the ramp, but in fact it is only 1 brick up,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back