1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Damp near patio doors

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by MoneyHeist, 15 Sep 2021.

1. MoneyHeist

MoneyHeist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

I've just moved into a new house and found the paint around my patio doors is bubbling. The floor is suspended and the patio doors are not original to the house (it was built in the 1890s). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the damp? I've attached some pictures. The humidity in the room tends to stick around 65 - 70 % depending on the outside conditions. I have a dehumidifier running which has dried out the paint and stopped it bubbling. IMG-1469.jpg IMG-1467.jpg IMG-1466.jpg IMG-1465.jpg IMG-1464.jpg

Thank you,

2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pics of the rear and roof?

4. tell80

tell80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As foxhole for pics. Can see headers so maybe a solid wall. The wall was soaked from the old down pipe from the gutter youve now got plastic pipe. the pvc trim needs resealing with silicon.
    Any dpc is probably bridged by the lower render. It looks like you need pointing work.Any more airbricks at the rear?Did you have a survey?

5. MoneyHeist

MoneyHeist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Please see the attached further pictures. I had a survey but he didn't think it was significant and mentioned the old down pipe too. I thought the damp had been solved but it seems not. IMG-1473.jpg IMG-1471.jpg IMG-1470.jpg

6. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Has the wall had a good soaking ? Can takes months or even a year+ to dry and salts stop leeching thru .

7. MoneyHeist

MoneyHeist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’m not sure when the down pipe was replaced but I suspect it was a while ago as the pipe does not look new.

8. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There appears to be nothing above doors to cast off rain and seal around door may be suspect, have you checked gutters during heavy rain?

9. Sponsored Links