Damp floor boards near patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken up some plastic flooring and have found some patches of damp on the suspended timber floor. See pics.

Its looks to me like the damp is getting in near the patio door and 'wicking' down the timber to the middle of the room?

Looking under the floor where I can the joists are dry.

Any ideas?

The pointing is not the best on the outside wall so I will get that done.
The patio doors is 2.5 bricks up from the ground level outside.

Can anyone suggest the best course of action? Will I need to replace the timber floor boards?

The floor seems to have bowed in areas too.

Cheers
20180303_160402.jpg
20180303_160408.jpg
IMG-20180303-WA0018.jpeg
IMG-20180303-WA0018.jpeg
IMG-20180303-WA0018.jpeg
IMG-20180303-WA0018.jpeg
20180303_160408.jpg
20180303_160402.jpg
20180303_160402.jpg
20180303_160408.jpg
IMG-20180303-WA0018.jpeg

Sponsored Links
as above.
after clearing all the junk stuff out of the way stand back and take shots showing the chimney breast and the whole room. can you take a shot showing the outside of that doorway step?
is there a solid floor next to this roomsuch as a kitchen?
how high above outsideground level are the boards?
can you go under the floor, the joist running tight to the wall and doorway could be rotted on the wall side. some of the boards are cuped and a few look rotted.
its most probly caused by a lack of ventilation below the floor

Thanks for the responses, the chimney breast currently has a gap in it for a vent/ air brick. you can feel the air flow under the floor so I don't think it is due to lack of ventilation.

Yes there is a solid kitchen floor to the left of the patio door.

No pics of the outside but I will take some tonight, the boards are roughly 1.5-2 bricks higher than the ground level.

The damp patches in the original pictures are the only wet parts on the boards.

See pic with the original flooring down (for chimney breast and solid kitchen floor). I will take some better pictures tonight.
20180211_160819.jpg

Sponsored Links
How high is the exterior paving?

Post a picture from the outside looking at the patio doors.

Andy

How high is the exterior paving?

Post a picture from the outside looking at the patio doors.

Andy

See attached, Not the best pic unfortunately but I will take some more when I get home tonight. There are 2 engineering bricks between the ground level and the bottom of the door.
20180306_095654.png

i cant see clear but you dont seem to have any air bricks below the doors. the only other place for air bricks would be down the passage way and at the front of the house.
thing is you would need telescopic air vents at that raised back area below the doors.
the inside boards look to be below the outside brick patio level they are not as high as you think. your threshold is on a raised step. any DPC is probly being bridged.
in front of the chimney breast below the boards there usuly is a soil filled hearth they sometimes causes dampness.
can you get under the suspended floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back