damp ceiling above bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed a small damp patch about the size of 50p coin in the ceiling above my bathroom.

The ceiling is only 12 months old (9mm plasterboard with skim) and the pitched roof above has no felt its just tiles on battens with lime mortar 'buttered on the back of the tiles'.

I assume this is minor roof leak as it rained really heavilly last night.

Anyway the problem is there is no accesss into the loft over the bathroom so i cant go in the loft and have a look next time it rains!

How else could i find out where the leak is coming from without cutting an inspection hole in my nice new ceiling?

I have access to roof ladders but not really sure what to look for on the roof, and i'm afraid i'd do more harm than good if i got up onto the roof myself.

Sponsored Links
might have found the solution.

Do you think putting a roofing sealant (black jack) type stuff on the roof pitch would work?

Its a rear pitch and quite small so not bothered about the aesthetics of it.

A roofing contractor will check your roof over and let you know if you have any problems.
This service is normally free.

i'm afraid i'd do more harm than good if i got up onto the roof myself.

Do you think putting a roofing sealant (black jack) type stuff on the roof pitch would work?

Whats on the roof? tiles, slates..i wouldn't be slabbering tar over a pitched roof.

can you see it from the ground? post a pic if you can.

Sponsored Links
pitched roof with clay tiles 100 year old originals.

Please see pic. [GALLERY=media, 27261][/GALLERY]

Annoyingly you can't see the roof in question, but its the same covering as the main pitch over the house.

Its the pitch above the window in the end gable wall!

Probably just a cracked tile or a defect in the flashing, possibly wind lift?

Never black jack a roof, its only a temporary measure and will make finding the leak more difficult in the future!

Get a couple of roofers round, free quotations FTW \0/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back