Damp Chimney breast (pictures included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all! First time post to this forum. I'm currently renovating a Victorian end terraced property which has damp patches on a chimney breast. I've included photos for people to look at and if anyone has seen anything similar to this and thinks they know what might be the cause then any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Picture 1:
View media item 87667Shows the chimney breast from straight ahead. The damp stain is spread across most of the width of the chimney near to the top. The further down the down the chimney the damp stain narrows to just the left hand side of the picture. The shape of bricks behind the plaster can be seen.
Picture 2:
View media item 87668This picture is taken from the right hand side of the chimney breast looking towards the solid brick wall which divides my house from next door. A damp patch near to the top can seen showing ingress of water along the brick wall from the chimney breast.

Picture 3:
View media item 87648This picture is taken at the foot of the chimney breast looking up at the ceiling board which also has a damp stain progressing from the chimney.

I believe the chimney contains at least 2 flues.. I had builders replace a broken off chimney pot and repair the pointing around the other in December. There has been an air brick in the right hand side flue located in the bedroom since September. I've opened up the left hand flue downstairs in the kitchen in December. Both flues appeared to be full of rubble when I did this. Previous occupant was a builder and fixed the roof himself so am presuming this is when this happened. The stain has not got any better. The room smells damp when it's cold.

Any insight on what the problem might be here would be appreciated. Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have the chimney pots been capped to prevent rain entering?
Rain will travel down and only good ventilation will prevent damp patches, poor pointing and flashing at chimney level will also let the rain in, if vents have only recently been cleared then it will take months to dry out.

Hello Thanks for the reply. A new pepper pot was recently fitted on one flue and the other has a metal gas cowel so both are capped to my knowledge. Any idea how the chimneys being filled with rubble will effect them drying out now that I've vented? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Also the pointing on the chimney may be letting it in.

Really, you need to be looking on the outside to see where rain may be coming in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back