Damp Chimney Foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have had a damp issue in our 1895 built house which resulted in a new injected chemical damp course being applied. Today I noticed that under the carpet is a concrete chimney foundation for a chimney that was removed before I purchased the house. The rest of the subfloor is wooden floor boards and the concrete is very damp to the touch and mold was growing on the carpet gripper that was on top of it.

My question is can this concrete be removed and replaced with floorboards to match the rest of the subfloor or should it be left and treated, if possible, to prevent any further damp issues later down the line. We do have a builder coming to address other issues in February but I just wanted to put my mind at rest that this can be easily addressed and get an idea of possible solutions to expect.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any pictures of underneath the floorboard for this particular area.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
It was very common in properties of this age to have the concrete hearth poured directly onto the ground......damp rising through it wasn't a problem because the fires were lit!
The hearth can be removed - you'll find that the joists will have been trimmed to fit round it though, and these will need to be extended to support the new floor.
Do look for the original damp course, and duplicate it under any new construction, of course.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back