Damp Chipboard Flooring Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if someone could help me here.

I recently noticed a large stain in my bathroom underneath the vinyl flooring to which I pull it up and found that there was a large area of damp. Turns out that water has been getting through the seal of the bath and onto the chipboard flooring beneath it.

Obviously its not a constant leak but over time it has amassed to the amount shown in the picture. Over the last few days I have had the leak fixed and proceeded to dry the chipboard floor out. It seems to me as though the whole area will completely dry out but im just worried about beneath the chipboard flooring. It seems as though the floor is still in pretty good condition and the fact that the most damp area is under the bath and not actually walked on, it should be fine. Is this correct? A screwdriver doesnt damage the flooring when it is hit.

The property is a third floor flat on a development that was built in 2009. Is there a possible claim to NHBC or will this only cover structural remedial works.

I would appreciate anyones thoughts on the matter.

Sponsored Links
Do you know what the joists are, are they solid timber or engineered (like I joists).

If they are engineered I joists for instance using OSB flanges, you would want to ensure they didn't get wet as well.

Solid timber joists will likely be OK (+90% certainty).

If you can't damage the chipboard with a screwdriver then it is probably OK.

I have no clue what the joists are. Its a timber frame building.

Id obviously prefer not to pull up the chipboard because its in the bathroom and i assume the toilet and bath would have to come out

chipboard is an awful material, and it is greatly weakened if wet. There is some chance that the feet of your bath will go through it.

I strongly advise you to take it up and replace with WBP ply, which is stronger and water-resistant (especially if you seal, paint or varnish the cut edges).

It is actually possible to refloor a bathroom while leaving the section under the WC in place and omitting that section from the new floor, but of course preferable to do the the whole lot in one go.

It is possible to replace the floor under the bath one bit at a time, propping it up as you work. Baths generally have feet you can screw up or down, so you can raise one leg, repace the board under it, wind it down, then do the next. It is rather a fiddly job.

It is not especially difficult to remove a WC or a basin pedestal, but if you are not keen to do it yourself you could get a plumber in. If you have the new flooring sections cut to size before he arrives you could drop them in as soon as the WC is out of the way, then he can reconnect it.

If you haven't got a circular saw, most DIY sheds will cut ply to size, but they are usually more expensive than woodyards (who generally won't)

Sponsored Links
Ok many thanks.

If I were to leave the chipboard down after it has fully dried, whats the worst that could happen?

Could I PM you the pictures I have of the bathroom in its current state?

No the wood hasnt swollen, it is drying pretty rapidly. The vinyl was pulled off 2 nights ago.

I have no clue what the joists are. Its a timber frame building.

Id obviously prefer not to pull up the chipboard because its in the bathroom and i assume the toilet and bath would have to come out

It's important that you find out what the joists are, it should be on file somewhere.

If they are I joists, I would really recommend cutting away a small bit of chipboard to inspect them for dampness.

Whilst chipboard is weakened when wetted, if it hasn't swollen it's probably OK (emphasis on "probably" as no manufacturer will say it "is" ok).

In regards to the particularly black area, it's not an area you are likely to stand on, so I wouldnt be worried about the chipboard there (though if you can claim on insurance = replace), I am more concerned as to what is happening under the chipboard.

I have just called NHBC and as the property is in its third year im outside the warranty period for that particular claim.

Was this the insurance you was referring to or could it come under contents? Who is the best person to get in to have a look? Will a plumber deal with everything, a bathroom fitter?

im outside the warranty period for that particular claim.

What do you mean by "that particular claim"?

NHBC have a reputation for shirking claims.

EDIT.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/WarrantiesandCover/documents/filedownload,43597,en.pdf

Page 14

(Latest version, so you may want to check the version around at the date of your building construction)

We will pay you the full Cost, if it is more than £1,200
Indexed

staircases and internal floor decking and screeds
where these fail to support normal loads

I suspect they can get you on the £1200 min claim clause, it won't cost that to repair, unless the joists are also damaged.

But they would be completely unable to prove the chipboard is still OK, simply because no manufacturer would do so (lit would be stupid of them to make claims on a product the manufacturer isn't willing to make).

Upon explaining the claim they stated that after two years has lapsed they only cover structural claims

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back