Damp coming in due to partially demolished outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm decorating a room for a friend and have noticed damp in one corner.

It's in a really old stone cottage and was an internal wall until the adjoining outhouse was partially demolished.

It's an old external wall, but I think the damp is coming in because the outhouse walls are mostly still standing (about 3/4 original height) without a roof on them. The damp is coming in at ground level where these walls meet the wall of the house at right angles.

Obviously, without being able to show exactly what I mean, is it possible that capping these outhouse walls with something stop the problem? If so, what would be suggested as I know concrete isn't the best idea in old houses.

Sponsored Links
Check the floor level of the old outhouse. If necessary, lower it to below the internal floor level and/or install a french drain. Don't be tempted to install an injected dpc; they don't work, especially in stone walls. If this doesn't solve the problem, come back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back