How Many Hours?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not looking for a price guide estimate or material cost, I merely want to gauge how many hours it would take a competent builder to complete the following to some outbuildings I have. The house is Victorian.

1. Demolish shed. The base is 8ft by 6ft and 6ft high. The roof is 3 corrugated sheets. The 6ft wall has door and frame. The 8ft wall has 40% window area. It only has 3 walls as it is built against party garden wall. The construction is blocks at lower level and bricks at higher level. The other end wall partly comes down( see below).
In the shed is a redundant stack/vent metal pipe which is redundant. This needs capping at ground level.

2. Form Base. The inside of the shed is concrete base but is 50mm below outside paved area. So the 8ft by 6ft footprint needs 50mm concrete.

3. Outside loo. Remove door and frame and fit new door and frame.

4. This is complicated to explain!! I have an outhouse that is between the outside loo and the shed for demolition. The shed is on a higher level, by some 3 feet, to the outhouse. The outhouse stays and shares a party wall with the shed to be demolished. That is why part of the shed wall stays.

Okay work to be done on outhouse is to remove corrugated roof which is 3 sheets, total area approx. 6 ft by 6ft. Take away front of outhouse which is wooden.
Put TwinWall roofing on 6ft by 6ft, which will be abutted to outside loo wall and partial shed wall and garden wall.Reconstruct front of outhouse which is 5 ft high and 6 ft wide, with door and frame, and a t&g wall for the rest of the width.
Put on gutter board and gutter.

I am aware that the corrugated sheeting might be the old asbestos based type, however, it is not broken.

As stated I am only asking how long each of these 4 tasks would take by a competent tradesperson, I am not looking for costs or material costs.

I would really value opinions.

Sponsored Links
About twice as long as you think it should take.

Sponsored Links
I thought I might get some meaningful replies from this forum but I was obviously mistaken?

I don't know whether it will take twice as long or cost three times as much but I was hoping for some clues!

what your asking is difficult for any one to answer,as no one has seen the job.
i certainly wouldnt give a estimate of time over the internet because there could be a manner of all fook ups waiting round the corner,hence when you do end up getting a few quotes they will have seen the job in hand.
then you can make comparisons on which is the best quote out of all of them.

what your asking is difficult for any one to answer,as no one has seen the job.
i certainly wouldnt give a estimate of time over the internet because there could be a manner of all fook ups waiting round the corner,hence when you do end up getting a few quotes they will have seen the job in hand.
then you can make comparisons on which is the best quote out of all of them.

I appreciate what you are saying but I would have thought a time estimate of taking down a small brick building, forming a base and replacing a door and frame , would be possible with a ball park time estimate.
I appreciate the fourth element is more difficult.

But I wasn't looking for time to the hour but more to number of days?

Allow a day for 1 person to demolish your shed and dump the spoil in a skip (easy access assumed- no 100 metre barrow dashes). Also assuming the shed roof is corrugated iron rather than anything more hazardous. This one may be quicker- if the shed is 100 years old then good odds it'll fall over with a good shove.

Capping your (cast iron?) redundant pipe- an hour or so (cut pipe down to ground level with a disc cutter, ram something down it and follow it with a concrete plug)

Shed base- it'll never be a good job sticking concrete on top of concrete. But if that's what you want and you aren't bothered about damp proofing etc. then allow half a day (again assuming easy access, running water, power and a mixer and somewhere to park the tonne of ballast and some bags of cement)

Outside loo- what sort of door and frame? Timber coming out and going back in? If you've sourced the correct sized door and frame and the walls don't fall to bits then allow half a day, have another half day in your contingency.

Your outhouse- allow 2 days, maybe a 3rd day- lot of woodwork to do there and a fair bit of procurement as well, someone has to measure it up, work out what is needed in the way of timber, source it and fixings at the best price, get it delivered to site. Twinwall sheeting is an expensive and not a particulary long-lasting roofing solution. The sheets are pricey, the fittings required (jointing bars and end stops) are very very pricey. It'd probably be cheaper to do it with fibre cement slates if you don't need daylight.

But all these are blind guesses- there must be builders in your postcode, give some of them a ring and get them to quote. Ask them how long the work will take by all means but don't get worked up trying to correlate time with cost.

PS Your house might be Victorian but the shed obviously isn't (they weren't big on blocks)

PPS I do wish people would stop mixing units- if you want to use Imperial then crack on but 8' x 6' x 50mm is a dogs' breakfast.

PPS I do wish people would stop mixing units- if you want to use Imperial then crack on but 8' x 6' x 50mm is a dogs' breakfast.

Thanks for your thoughts which are much appreciated.

As regards your parting comment, it is a fact of life of us older generation converting to metric, but you will always hear " 10 metres of 4 by 2" down at the timber yard!

Me and Julio down @ the timberyard always do the imp. metric thing ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back