Removal of Asbestos Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at purchasing a house which has a Asbestos clad shed in the garden.

The shed is approx 8ft x 10ft and has flat asbestos walling and corrugated asbestos roofing.

At this stage I am trying to get a ballpark figure for its contracted removal so an appropriate value can be reflected in the purchase cost.

Can anybody give me a realistic view/cost for such a removal?
PLONKER

Sponsored Links
tell the owner to have it removed other wise you will not buy property, also see item 9

besides suppose a ball park figure is 1K, and more asbestos removal was required, and you only got say 1.5K knocked off house price, not too good is it, as i said i suggest you tell current owner to get rid of it at their expense not yours

You could always contact your local disposal company for asbestos waste for the price of enclosed skips for this type of waste, and dismantle it yourself.

Asbestos Cement it is not a real problem to get rid of just costs more, as long as you use a good quality particle mask and dismantle the shed sheet by sheet you should have no problems. You should be able to fine advice and company addresses/numbers on your local Council website, or phone thier enviromental department office for the infomation.

This is my Local Council Site to give an idea. Braintree Also some areas have refuse tips with a section for this type of waste to enable the Private Property Owner to dipose of this waste free of charge as long as it is clearly marked and wrapped.

Salem.

I have recently got rid of one from my friends garden after being quoted £600 to have it removed and we had to wrap it in heavy duty polythene (we used 1200 gauge Visqueen) and taped it all up tight in manageable parcels and booked it in with our local Council tip. We had to take it down and put it into their designated asbestos lockable container skip ( the Council staff are not allowed to help you with it so take a friend ) and was charged for the overall weight of the job lot. The shed was 8ft X 8ft with an asbestos roof and it all came to a suprisingly low £54 . If you do have to take it down yourself make sure you have all the usual protection with a disposable suit and mask , goggles and gloves and hose it all down before and during the job . Don't wade in with a big hammer but take it apart in as big a chunks as you can because it is when you break it up that the fibres and dust are created and keeping it damp will help avoid this .

Sponsored Links
sadly, some of these companys are giving the wrong information regarding Asbestos Cement so they can rake in loads of profit.

I have no problem with someone making a living and understand that they have overheads to cover, but I disagree with them using the threat of Cancer or other illnesses to scare people into paying masive amounts when they dont have to.

I was quoted £250 incl VAT to remove a 50gal Asbestos Cement water tank, I then contacted my local council they charged me £10 for me to take it to my local tip, all I had to do was wrap and mark it accordingly. They now have a policy where they dont charge the householder for small amounts of Asbestos waste.

Salem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back