130.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 03EAAEF1-A403-4673-8391-535E4AEB741F.jpeg
    03EAAEF1-A403-4673-8391-535E4AEB741F.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 38
  • A77340F7-D437-4C0B-84BE-725C1CBE1897.jpeg
    A77340F7-D437-4C0B-84BE-725C1CBE1897.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
It actually says who made it on the product, "Frameline". As far as I can remember it was teo layers of brown paper with grey recycled cellulose inside it (actually recycled newdpaper). This was stapled onto timbet frames as a combined draught proofer and insulator. I don't think it contained asbestos but someone msy correct me on that. In my working lifetime, which goes back to the early 1970s the majority of asbestos I have come across has been incorporated into sheets (with cement, e.g. corrugated sheet, fire boarding, secondary insulation, soffit and fascia boards, etc) incorporated or woven into ropes or gaskets (e.g. flue seals, steam pipe seals etc), in manufactured formef items (e.
g. water cisterns, gutters, downpipes, etc), in products requiring additional strength from the addition of fibres (e.g. Marley-type vinyl floor tiles and associated adhesive) and of course the now notorious blown asbestos insulation used in many buildings from the 1960s to 80s (e.g. on boiler house and service void walls).

To be honest, it sounds as though you have gone full tilt with a rip out without doing much research on construction technology and in particular the sorts of hazards we routinely face. On the subject of asbestos you really need to go and read the relevant parts of the HSE wen site which will tell you whete asbestos is mist commonly found in the home as well as maybe looking at the UKATA web site. Asbestos shouldn't frighten people because there are ways to mitigate the risks associated with it. But equally don't be gung ho - I got away with installing asbestos fireboarding intermittently over a 15 or so year period (although it has left me with minor pleural plaques) - on the other hand a mate of mine, a decorator, died in his fifties of mesothelioma as the result of dusting and painting Artex ceilings, or so he reckoned. So do a bit of reading and if you are still really concerned spend about £30 and do the UKATA Asbestos Awareness on line course. It will answer a lot of questions

There's no point worrying now it's been ripped out. You can't exactly undo the damage, and the risks are very low anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back