Warm Air Heating - Cupboard Door: Vents & Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first time posting here but I have been asking a lot of questions on another forum that I use. This seemed like a better place for my questions though.

At the start of the year I bought my flat and I have a Johnson & Starley warm air central heating unit (J25-32 Mk3). I'm looking at making some changes to the cupboard the unit is in - the cupboard current has an unattractive double door (top and bottom), as well has having an asbestos sheet attached to the inside of bottom door. I'm considering having the two doors safely removed (including the asbestos) and replaced with just one full cheap MDF door.

I've attached a few pictures of the cupboard, including a shot of the asbestos sheet, and I can supply more if needed. The warm air unit directs the warm air into the kitchen (the vent facing the camera) and into the living room, which is L shaped (the vent facing the far wall and the vent facing the wall to the left). The warm air unit draws in air from the living room (through a vent and ducting attached to the far wall) and the living room has a vent under the window to the outside for circulation. There is also a flue (possibly asbestos) that leads up to the roof, visible towards to the top/right rear of the cupboard.

Original Photos:

before1g.jpg

before20.jpg

Asbestos Sheet:

dsc02972ll.jpg

The new cupboard door will have an area cut out near the bottom for the vent that directs the warm air into the kitchen but I'm not sure if I need to use an asbestos equivalent on the bottom half of the new door or if I still need the two vents (top and very bottom) that aren't currently attached to anything?

I've contacted Johnson and Starley with the above details and they emailed me a PDF of the installation and maintenance manual, but I'm not technical enough to fully understand it.

J&S said that I would need to keep the vents at the top and bottom of the doors, these are required and are referred to as compartment ventilation.

Also, they said the minimum distance from the heater to a combustible surface is 75mm and that there is no special requirements for materials that meet this requirement.

So, my main question is about the regulations to do with using suitable asbestos equivalent to use on the inside of the door.

Can anyone help with this?

Many thanks,

Psycho666

PS. This an edited photo of how I'm picturing the final cupboard door but I know it might have some changes:

after1.jpg
[/b]

Sponsored Links
I don't like the look of the whole install.Flue looks like liner/not sure where return air is from/ and having warm air blowing inside the compartment albeit behind a louvre worries me.Is vent to outside OK?Are vent sizes to MI's? It just doesn't look right to me.Get a pro in as I think you are out of your depth especially with WAU's in compartments.

I don't like the look of the whole install.Flue looks like liner/not sure where return air is from/ and having warm air blowing inside the compartment albeit behind a louvre worries me.Is vent to outside OK?Are vent sizes to MI's? It just doesn't look right to me.Get a pro in as I think you are out of your depth especially with WAU's in compartments.

I'm sure the current install is okay. The person I bought the flat from left me her service invoices and she'd also had some work done by the same company (South Thames Gas). They are Gas Safe Registered and Johnson & Starley approved installer of Warm Air Central Heating units and systems... I'm not 100% sure that they originally installed the unit though.

I used them to service the unit a few months ago and everything was fine.

In my edited photo showing how I'd like the final cupboard door to look it doesn't show exactly the right vent/grille cover on the front. I'd like to use the metal one on this site:

3rd one down - Chartham: http://www.decorativemesh.co.uk/grills-grille-grilles/punchedsheets.html

That one looks like it would have quite a lot of open area for the warm air to pass through without being blocked or diverted.

Psycho666

Here's a better picture of how it would look with the metal vents/grilles:

afternew.jpg

Psycho666 :evil:

Sponsored Links
OK have it your own way.Not my problem.

You seem a bit annoyed with my reply. I didn't mean to offend you.

I just wanted to point out that, as far as I know, the unit was fitted by a professional (Johnson and Starley approved) and that it has been serviced regularly - latest a few months ago.

I'm no expert but I have to trust they fitted it correctly.

Next I'm going to contact South Thames Gas and I'll ask if they can advise on my ideas for a new cupboard door.

OK have it your own way.Not my problem.

You seem a bit annoyed with my reply. I didn't mean to offend you.

I just wanted to point out that, as far as I know, the unit was fitted by a professional (Johnson and Starley approved) and that it has been serviced regularly - latest a few months ago.

I'm no expert but I have to trust they fitted it correctly.

Next I'm going to contact South Thames Gas and I'll ask if they can advise on my ideas for a new cupboard door.

hi, did you get it all sorted?
i think what was being refered to is the general look of the install, you have to think, if it didnt have the door would i be concerned about seeing that every day, the silver pipe is sagging and so not properly supported, the vent to get air into the system doesnt appear visibe and with the vent to the kitchen? being supported by some strange wooden construction you have to wonder.
always the concern is does it have good clean air to allow it to combust.
if it doesn't carbon monoxide poisoning is the result!
if your happy a professional has given it the ok then i would say fine.
but if it was me £10-£15 for a decent carbon monoxide detector is cheap insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back