Making Better Use of Outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick (single layer) outhouse in my back yard that I want to make better use of. One of its walls is essentially the end of the terraced house, another wall is the dividing garden wall to the house next door and the other is the wall of the old coal shed (so essentially someone previously put a roof across the gap between the house and coal shed, with door and windows at the front, to make the gap into an outhouse.

I was thinking of making this a bit more rubust and easier to use for laundry etc. Im getting someone to change the door and windows - they are rotting away. I will also get someone to patch up the tiled sloping roof. But do you think it is worth putting some plaster board up on the walls and to make a ceiling - I suppose this would be just for asethectics (and warmth if I was to insulate). I guess, I would just have to leave the floor as it is - its basically the concrete yard floor (could paint it...? or is there some sort of damp proof membrane that can be put down and then levelled?).

If I was to use plaster board, what would you suggest - can you get boarding with insulation attached?

I already have plug sockets in there (weather protected). Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
if the existing floor gets damp you should install a dpm, insulation optional.
The walls can be studded out and insulated p/b with vcl incorporated installed.
As it is to be used as a utility room i would consider ventilation.

Loads of threads on this subject if you do a search.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back