Converting my outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey im looking to convert my outhouse which is attached to my kitchen, need a few pointers of advise ok here goes

The outhouse itself is only single brick with a an angled /sloped tiled roof, with triangle beams as support, the room is split in two , one a coal shed and one a wash house, but i am going to knock the seperating walls down to make it bigger, just curious as to if i do this will my roof collapse down, there doesnt seem to any major supports other than the perimeter wall which i wont be touching

Ok question number 2, im looking to plaster the whole room out and lay carpets, can anyone give me advise on this can i apply plaster directly to the single brick wall , or will i have to damp proof then board it then plaster it,

ok lastly, the floor could i just lay carpet and underlay directly to the concrete which is the floor or will this cause problems, will i have to coat the floor in damp proofing paint, if it exists?

Hope someone can help me cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you are changing the use of existing outbuildings. I'd have a word with your Local Authority Building Control to see if it is allowed. They can be very helpful if you clearly want to do the job properly.

On the other hand, as long as you don't extend central heating and the existing main house walls and doors are left in place, you might be able to convince them it will remain an outbuilding.

I've just been flicking off some brown plaster from a single skin masonry wall, so I wouldn't recommend using ordinary plaster. Penetrating damp seems to have damaged it. I suspect it was replastered with modern gypsum plaster. However, I'm having a devil's own job chipping off some concrete internal render from part of the wall.

Have a look at GypLyner products.

If it stays an outbuilding, you won't need to get the U-values down to 0.3 for the walls, 0.16 for the ceiling and 0.25 floor. Instead, you could just use 25mm deep treated battens on the brick and stick up foil backed (Duplex) plasterboard. This should halve the U-value from 2.5 to about 1.25.

You might want to look at Celotex: Solid masonry walls (Internal) and Kingspan Kooltherm K18.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back