Outhouse conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to embark on a project to extend our kitchen into a single brick outhouse. The existing kitchen is in the main house and is connected to a single brick outhouse via the gable end wall. There are some open drains in the outhouse area as originally part of it was open to the outside as this is how the coal was brought in. Both have concrete floors if that makes a difference. The complexity is that the outhouse building was built in between our house and next doors and then a single brick internal wall to split it into our half and next doors. I’m not going to do the work myself and looking for builders but trying to find out the best/proper way to do. The first builder said to stud the walls and insulate will be enough but my concern is that there is still only a single brick between the 2 properties and I have a fear one day next door could drill straight into the kitchen. My thought would be a second block wall inner but he said it’s not needed. I am obviously going to get more builders in but could do with a little advice really.

Sponsored Links
(Half) brick thick walls are pretty common between attached houses.
You might be better just putting in something that’ll block sound as much as possible with your studwork, rather than build another skin of masonry. Think rockwool acoustic insulation etc
Then again, a dense block wall would also do the trick, but would need a foundation. Existing one may or may not be usable and would need to be examined

Thankyou for your reply and suggestions, my concern is with the half brick party wall, is that ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back