Removing an Outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in an old Victorian terrace that has a row of 4 brick outhouses at the end of the garden. Access to two of the outhouses are from my garden and the other two from my neighbours garden on the right.

I have a legal agreement with my neighbours on the left to knock down the two outhouses that lay on my land.. Our deeds have been updated and everything is ok in that respect.

I plan to begin knocking the two outhouses down next week but wanted to check to see if there is anything I should be wary of.

The toilets have already been cemented and its literally the brick structure that will be coming down.

The row of 4 outhouses are all divided by a brick wall and sit on a concrete base. My main concern is that I obviously don't want to damage the two outhouses that will not be knocked down.

My plan was to remove the wooden roof structure first and then start removing bricks from the outhouse furthest away from the two that will remain.

Where the join is between the two outhouses that will remain is my main concern as there will be a few bricks that span both outhouses.. any tips would be much appreciated

I no this is hard work but the plan is to reuse the bricks to build a small wall... probably need 500 bricks max... I've tested the mortor and its pretty old and have given myself over a month to clean up up the bricks. Ideally i would have bought the bricks but have been unsuccessful in matching them.. but thats another topic.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you may have to tooth out every half brick and re fit a complete return brick, laid in mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back