Outhouse Conversion - Questions (inc Insulation!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I've an outhouse which I want to convert - the outhouse is roughly 2.5metres wide and about 4 metres long.

I am keen to get this converted - had a few quotes and they seem crazy high when I can do things myself.

I need to confirm the way I am going to do it is 'properly'

The building is a single skin 4" block construction.

The room is to be used as an outside office - the procedure I was going to take was:

- Cut window out and put lintle in - making the window larger (Picked up a dbl glazed UPVC Window £50!)

- Put in air brick to allow walls to be vented

- Replace the wood around door frame and a new door put in (UPVC)
- Membrane against wall and floor - batoned in place with 2 x 1" batons - on top of this I was going to put the 40mm xtrathem insulation.

- Baton this in place and wire up

- Mount plasterboard, tape and have someone in to skim

Floor
- Membrane on the floor - batons around edge to hold it in place, put down some very thin insulation (might not put any in at all)! and then put screed over it.

- Install underfloor heating, and tape - then put a leveler in, then get the floor tiled.

Ceiling
- Wire it up for down lights - 6 in total, and insulate and put plasterboard on this too.

Job done.

The main concern I have is the volume / amount of insulation.

Help? :)

Sponsored Links
Insulate the floor, expecially if you are installing underfloor heating! At the very least 25mm of celotex/kingspan + thermal board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back