Damp coming up through cellar floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old (c.1900) terrace victorian house, with a cellar.
The cellar has always had damp walls at the front of the house and sometimes I see patches of damp rising up through the concrete floor.

However it is had been fairly dry outside for a couple of weeks now, but the last week or so I have suddenly seen the concrete floor showing much larger patches of damp. You can actually soak up the water that has come through with a towel.

I am confused where this water is coming from and why it would get worse in a dry period? Surely there would not be any pipes underneath a cellar?

The only thing I can think of is workmen were fixing a pot hole outside our house, which was surrounding the water main.. not sure this would have anything to do with it..

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
i think you have answered your own question, regarding the workmen outside.
I would just sit tight for awhile and if it was due to work, providing they have not damaged the mains water pipe, whilst working, should clear up.

But all the workmen did was replace a 1m2 bit of tarmac around a water main, they did not touch the main itself.

I was thinking is it possible that in doing this they have somehow caused a leak somewhere. But it seems unlikely to me that if they have caused a leak it is going downwards through the front garden and up through the cellar..

It does sound like a problem should not have arisen from the work, unless the pipe has been damaged.
If a hole was dug to do the repair, it could well have changed the way any rain water dispersed over that period.
So for the moment, I would monitor the situation.

Sponsored Links
hmm, its very strange

i was expecting the cellar to dry out with the dryer weather no the other way round..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back