Damp concrete floor DPM?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering what happens when a DpM is missing or broken from a concrete floor.
Does the damp suck up through the floor and leave patches under objects placed on the floor?
Took this pic after I removed some lino I had laid on the floor for a week(during the recent dry weather!).
Would this occur as a result of a broken DPM or is it indicative or perhaps water leaks? It's strange the patch is almost a rectangle.
What are my options here?
Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
To state the obvious, you need to establish the cause of the damp but I would need more info for a correct stab at a diagnosis. You say that you had some lino laid there for a week - was it only that spot, or across the whole floor. Is there a join in the concrete? Has it since dried out? Is the adjoining wall an external one. Is it a solid concretion floor or B & B ventilated? Are there any pipes in the floor?

To state the obvious, you need to establish the cause of the damp but I would need more info for a correct stab at a diagnosis. You say that you had some lino laid there for a week - was it only that spot, or across the whole floor. Is there a join in the concrete? Has it since dried out? Is the adjoining wall an external one. Is it a solid concretion floor or B & B ventilated? Are there any pipes in the floor?
The Lino was laid over the floor, there is a line where the damp ends, see pic. The rest of the floor seems OK. Solid concrete. The outside wall is to the right of the picture. But funnily the damp doesn't go right to the walk, sea a 2inch gap. The wall is solid stone. Not any obvious pipes, but there is a line in the concrete where the damp ends so perhaps different concrete. If I remove the Lino, it will dry out by evaporation into the room.

Update - I had a builder round, the looked at the wall and said that the issue was a patio from next door at a higher level allowing water in. The solution is to dig a trench and fit an external DPM from below wall level to above surface level. Since this is on the neighbours property and he is causing the problems, would you say i am able to expect a contribution towards costs?

Sponsored Links
Yes - I think you would be right to expect a 100% contribution to the remedial and damage repair costs.

100%?
Not sure I want a protracted legal wrangle over this. Are they obliged to pay for repairs generally if this creates issues down the line?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back