Damp concrete floor in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife owns a 100+ year old stone built terraced property in Scotland. The problem lies in the ground floor bathroom concrete floor, which is itself a 10 year old block work old extension.

Since meeting me several years ago (2006) she has let the property to tennants. One of which we know was negligent when it came to reporting issues of faults with the house. We also know that she wasn't to careful about clearing up spilled water.

Anyway, when she moved out we inspected the property and found signs of dampness on walls etc. My wife decided to get to the route of the problem and called in a plumber who identified there had been several leaks, one from the bathroom sink, which had been plugged with a sponge. There was also a leak behind the bath/shower. The plumber reckoned, due to the extent of the damage for about 3-4 years. It transpired the plasterboard and stud s were soaking/rotting. Now all ripped out

It has been established there are no leaks from the visible plumbing/heating or leaking from the above. (plumbing test)

The original builder of the extension assures us a DPC was laid.

Also, the floor consisted of DPC, concrete slab, 100mm figid foam insulation, chipboard and tile ( not below bath tub)

It would appear the damp patch is beneath where the bath sits but we also have a damp patch in the kitchen which sits behind the bathroom on a linear track, i.e. as if the water has run in a straight line.

The insurers brought in a local carpenter to replace the studs and floor. On completion after a few days it is all soaking again and had to be ripped out.

My question is, if the concrete floor had been exposed to water from leaks over a 2-3 year period could it be the moisture is evaporating from the concrete slab? would the slab act as a huge sponge? and needs time to dry out, if so how long might this take?

We have had a surveyor inspect the property but he is unable to provide a conclusive report on the cause of the dampness.

We have tennants currently who have had to be rehoused in the meantime which is obviously causing my wife much anxiety not to mentioned expense.

Any advice or advice on causes of this damage would be appreciated.

David

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back