Damp / Condensation in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought and renovated a property (built circa 1900) and moved in in December. As part of the renovation we had a damp proof course fitted as instructed in our survey. We contracted a builder to act as project manager and handle plumbing, electrics, DPC, plastering, windows (new double glazed wooden sash) and roofing works. Following the major renovation works we then contracted a tiler ourselves to lay a terracota floor (over an existing tiled floor with a grill in the centre of the floor which we were told by the builder served no purpose and the vendors said it's purpose was for sluicing down the floor as they had lived in S.America and this was the 'done thing' there). Following this we had a oak framed kitchen installed. Lovely - job done!
Not so. First - some salt tide marks appeared on the walls before we moved in. The DPC guy returned and said the builders had used the wrong plaster to fill in a gap (bottom 3/4" where a skirting had been) and that this needed to be removed. Followed instructions and builders returned and chipped off the bottom inches of plaster by taking off kick boards. Lovely - job done!
Not so. Last week I was cleaning out the cupboards and found green furry mould growing through the back of the cupboards. Called in builder and DPC guy. DPC guy did test and despite some salt tide marks on wall he informed me the DPC was fine and the brickwork was dry. His suggestion was condensation as the cause. Suggested I remove the mould with mild bleach solution and vent the space with air bricks from outside.
Finally my question -
Can the mould levels displayed (extreme) and significant water present on the wall and floor be due to condensation alone? Or am I being 'fed a line' by the DPC guy trying to avoid the costly expense of removing the kitchen to re-do the work done originally. Remember - there is a salt tide mark as well as the mould which I thought was definatley a failure of DPC. Should I bring in an independent damp 'consultant' to check his findings or go along with his recommendations? My issue is that if the area stays damp the oak laminated MDF cupboard backs are going to continue to de-laminate and when I've spent £15k on a kitchen this is a problem!
One further point is that the DPC guy said if the venting did not work it may be that there was a failure in the floor to wall joint forcing water to evaporate into the space behind the cupboards. Who is responsible for correcting this if this is the case? It will apparently require all the cabinetry to be removed to rectify!
Anyones help / advice here much appreciated.
Frustrated Fred 1

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back