Damp course and blown plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been quoted a small fortune to damp course all the walls in my dining and living rooms, to tackle rising damp. This would include hacking off the plaster up to one metre, inserting tanking and re-plastering.

But now I’m wondering now about the area above that.

I live in a semi which at a guess is around 1930s and I assume its the original plaster. When I tap the walls downstairs, some areas sound solid, some a bit hollow and some rattle. I assume the latter means that the plaster has ‘blown’?

The wall just above the fireplace seems solid. But when I drilled holes for a TV mount, the plaster was very dry, making it difficult.

What would be the best solution for these two rooms? Should I continue with the damp course and get the area above one meter skimmed (maybe up to the picture rail or coving)? Or would an experienced plasterer be able to identify the ‘hot spots’ and deal with them individually? I know nothing about this subject.

A friend of mine said he got all the plaster in his downstairs, up the ceiling, removed and had it replaced with plasterboard. He spent about half the price of my damp course quote. However, I’m not a fan of plasterboard and would prefer proper plaster. I’m assuming my quote is for proper plaster. At least my friend took care of the whole wall area – maybe I should do the same?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back