Damp damp and more damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s bungalow.

When we moved in 6 years ago the roof needed replacing and the report on the bungalow said there was about £1000 of damp in one wall.

the previous owners had the windows replaced and cavity wall insulation fitted.

when we had the roof replaced we also had a conservatory fitted and before this we were noticing damp in the bungalow. we are on a steep road and our neighbours drive goes half way up one of our walls.

our builder removed some of the cavity wall insulation as it was wet and fitted some air bricks as well as digging out around the other side of the bungalow dropping the level of the drive below the damp course and fitting some drainage around the bungalow.

i then boarded out most of the loft, after a few weeks i had to route an ariel lead so lifted up some of the boards and they were wet underneath and the insulation is wet to the touch as well.

the roof is not leaking and the damp appears to be in the walls. We originally thought the problem was just the side of the bungalow with the neighbours drive next to it but it is all round the bungalow and i suffer from asthma so this is something we really want to get sorted.

Where do you start with something like this - im always cleaning the damp mould with the correct stuff but ddon'twant to get ripped of by a builder telling me it needs this and that.

The cavity wall insulation has a 25 year gguaranteeso we are starting with that route but would love some advise before we go down these roads as for warned is forarmed.

just for reference my wife has windows open all the time, mainly bbecauseof the ddampand we do all we can to keep things away from walls but we are fighting a loosing battle.

all help and advise greatly appreciated

thanks

trevor

Sponsored Links
This might seem an obvious question but is there a damp-proof course around the house, or has one failed?
Is the floor suspended timber or concrete?

does anyone drape wet washing inside the house?

was the wet insulation above the bathroom?

If you have ground "half way up a wall", then that is a potential cause of a cool surface for condensation which could affect the rest of the property

If you have boarded the loft, then insulation can't be deep enough

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys.....

@woody.... "If you have boarded the loft, then insulation can't be deep enough"

not sure what this means, should the insulation be so thick that i cant put boards down?

@JohnD yes wet washing is hung in the bunglaow, also most days a dehumidifier is running to help with the damp. But the damp insulation was/is over a bedroom and not the bathroom, i haven't boarded over the bathroom area

@tony1851 we believe the damp course is in tack but without digging up the neighbours drive then this will be very hard to prove? The floors are suspended timbers but my wife wants them concreted? would this help or hinder?

a load of wet washing can hold two litres of water. Would you sprinkle this around the house from a watering can, or squirt it on the walls with a sprayer? If you did, several times a week, would you expect your house to be damp?

A tumble-drier will cost you less that the remedial work.

If the neighbours drive is against your house, and is higher than your DPC, the DPC will be bridged and ineffective. that part of your wall is effectively underground and very difficult to keep dry as it is effectively a cellar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back