Damp due to wall across DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a 1950's terrace house, red brick built with cavity.
There are 6 foot fences down each side of the rear garden, with the nearest fence panels fixed to the house wall.

The fences on both sides are very old and need replacing, so I've had a couple of quotes for replacing the fence on 'my' side. One of the builders has pointed out that on the neighbour's side of the boundary, there is a brick wall about 18 inches high that is mortared up to the house wall, about a foot above the DPC. He says this is wrong because it will cause damp.

This could explain why I get damp in that corner of the back room. There is none anywhere else along the back or party walls.

The wall is definitely on the neighbour's property so I can't touch it, and I can't talk to him about it because we don't get on (he blocks my gates, and other unfriendly things).

Is the builder right, and what can I do about this? If there anything I can do from my side to stop the damp? Any suggestions welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Walls abutting houses above DPC don't necessarily automatically cause damp, especially those with cavity walls. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

Can you post a piccy?

Thanks noseal.
Difficult to get a pic because the fence is still in front of the wall and I can't ask to go next door.
Would there be any point in injecting silicone from my side?

Looks like I will have to grin and bear it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back