Damp eroded mortar below damp course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I moved into this house this time last year.

I noticed this this year (see pics). The mortar is wet and soft to touch, feels like wet clay, and is eroding/washing away, under the damp course.

We had some similar problems with the roof mortar, so I'm guessing its the same bad mix by whoever built it.
It's around most of the property, which is fairly sizeable, so I'm guessing/hoping it's not a drainage problem.

I had an extensive survey done, and nothing came up with the damp course, so again, hoping its not as serious as it looks.

I have the following questions if any of you guys can help:

-Is it normal for the bricks under the damp course to be damp like that? I assume yes - which is the point of the damp course.

-Im happy to rake out and/or re-point with decent concrete. My worry is- is the erosion happening on the inside too? Or is the erosion due to external elements and the inside should be fine as its protected. You see my point (pardon the pun) , If I replace the outside, and the inside continues to erode, the brick will end up only having mortar 3cm in from the outside face.

-I think ive found the correct mortar mix ratios, but I'll take any advice you have

Many thanks Ben

Attachments

• IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5282.jpg
    IMG_5282.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
You could check to see if water is not pooling by those bricks under the gravel. If it is then you will need to remedy that.

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

I moved into this house this time last year.

I noticed this this year (see pics). The mortar is wet and soft to touch, feels like wet clay, and is eroding/washing away, under the damp course.

We had some similar problems with the roof mortar, so I'm guessing its the same bad mix by whoever built it.
It's around most of the property, which is fairly sizeable, so I'm guessing/hoping it's not a drainage problem.

I had an extensive survey done, and nothing came up with the damp course, so again, hoping its not as serious as it looks.

I have the following questions if any of you guys can help:

-Is it normal for the bricks under the damp course to be damp like that? I assume yes - which is the point of the damp course.

-Im happy to rake out and/or re-point with decent concrete. My worry is- is the erosion happening on the inside too? Or is the erosion due to external elements and the inside should be fine as its protected. You see my point (pardon the pun) , If I replace the outside, and the inside continues to erode, the brick will end up only having mortar 3cm in from the outside face.

-I think ive found the correct mortar mix ratios, but I'll take any advice you have

Many thanks Ben
I can't see anything wrong or unusual other than a need for a wee bit of sympathetic re-pointing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back